Welcome

My name is Josh and I am a student at the Robert J. Lister Academy. My mission in this class is to go to Monteverde, Costa Rica to study the native plant and wildlife. The reason I want to study those subjects is because I have always been interested in foreign countries and nature. I also want to study the geographical terrain for my future plans of joining the military when I am of age. We need to raise about $1,800 per person to be able to go. We have done alot of hard work already. This is not a vacation - this is a learning opportunity of a lifetime. We have a class we are taking and we will be studying topics like the economy, ecology, world affairs, etc. Another reason I want to go is because I have never left the country. This will change my life to be exposed to a new culture besides here in America. The reason it will be a life changing experience is because most people do not get the chance to leave the country, and I could be one of them. I also want to see what it is like in a country without a military, unlike America. In a place like America, everywhere you look there is some type of military image. I want to see how the people of Costa Rica live without a military. In Costa Rica, I will study hard, and make the best of the time spent there.



Friday, October 22, 2010

Chapter 6


This post is about the book, Walking With Wolf, and modern day Costa Rica.


Right now in Costa Rica, they're having problems with Nicaragua that could lead to war. The reason that this is important to the book, and to our class, is because the whole reason that Wolf and the other Quakers moved to Costa Rica and then formed Monteverde was due to it being a non-military country. The other reason that this is important is because Costa Rica has not had a military in over 60 years. It also means... no military... no wars. The major reason Wolf and the other Quakers moved to Costa Rica, was the U.S. Govt started a peace time draft. What that meant was, that during a time of peace, the U.S. Govt forced people to go into the military. Wolf and some other Quakers were thrown into jail for what they believed in., which was peace. Costa Rica's not going to have a regular military, it is a Govt police force called Fuerza Pública. The Fuerza Pública officers are dressed, and equipped with military equipment (mainly from the USA). These police officers are wearing lead vests (bullet proof vests) that say "POLICE" on them. These forces are carrying M16 assault rifles, and what is described as 50-caliber machine guns. The reason that this is a major change in Costa Rica, is that because these tensions could possibly lead to a war that could affect the Quakers Pacifist ways. Costa Rica has been doing everything it can to protect themselves from war.


As soon as I get more information I will make a new post.


SOURCE:





No comments:

Post a Comment